Sunday, June 28, 2009

Scott Smiley: Urban Bard for a Post-modern Time

BEE BUZZ! A buzz in your ear about cool people/places/things/ideas and other hidden treasures!

I "discovered" this cat's poetry (or should I say his poetry discovered me) at the June TRIAAC Coffee House. Poetry was this month's CH focus, and Scott was one of the featured poets along with the Wizard of Word-smithing and Master of Mind-blowing, Curtis Crisler.

This man's poetry rocked me so hard. It's raw, edgy, and masculine, yet at the same time emotionally honest, and laced with human vulnerability. His writing is clever, sharp, and tinged with just enough wry wit to keep it fresh. As he talked about his life and his writing process, I was particularly impressed with his ability to speak not only with truth and honesty but with critical self-reflection. Sorry fellas, but I don't know many men who are willing to open themselves up like that and put themselves out there, not in an exhibitionist "look at me" sort of way, but in a "let's be real here" sort of way. Menfolk could learn a little something from this dude, so take a cue.

I had no idea this brother existed before now. Is he a hidden treasure or am I just late to the party as usual? lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment