Saturday, July 4, 2009

Venus Williams: The Epitome of Class

Venus Williams continues to cement her spot on my list of Real Women. As the calmer, quieter, mentally tougher, and more reflective of the two sisters, Venus is the one who consistently displays grace, poise, dignity, and strength, even when losing a match.

She demonstrated those qualities again today before, during, and after her loss to Serena. Rather than have a mental and emotional meltdown as Serena did after last year's Wimbledon finals when she lost to her big sister, Venus simply sat down, went inside of herself for a few moments, and, after her name was called, strolled to the podium with the clear but understated confidence she is known for.

Of her lost today she said, "She [Serena] had an answer for everything. She played the best tennis today, so congratulations." Later she joked, "Well, I don't think the loss has really set in yet because I'm still smiling."

And that's part of what makes her a class act. Her ability to take whatever shots come her way, either in tennis or in life, and keep right on smiling. I love me some Serena too, don't get me wrong. But as far as I'm concerned, today the true congratulations go to Venus.

No comments:

Post a Comment